Friday, 22 March 2013

Learning to Share


Hi Readers.

I will be sharing with you the lessons I will be learning and that which will have an impact on the way we test software and from a wider perspective.
If you wish to be a guest writer, do leave a comment here. We can collate our learning 's and post it. 

Impact:

If you are excelling at one thing, the actions and results of act1 will have a profound impact on the other walks of life too.  The goodness of action1 reflects on action2 and vice versa. 


The beginning: 
  • Begin by unburdening from the idea of bifurcating or saying it 's not my forte. This helps to not to be blinded and biased. 
  • Be open to get into an argument and accept a challenge. At the end of which there is always a lesson learnt. 
  • Begin to contribute now though you are not an orator or an established writer, you can eventually qualify to be one.

Gratitude:


2 weeks after I thanked my first recruiter for my first job. (I precisely said this "Thank you for recruiting me as a Software Tester"). I chanced upon meeting with people that would help me learn more about it.
I mean to say "Am thankful for all my opportunities". They have all contributed in their own different ways.


I remember my confidence sky rocketing when I introduced a flow for testing at my first job, which was welcomed with wow by the senior members and I had felt good about. We were performing performance testing and all of us had assembled to discuss on how to go about testing the flow. We were a mix of developers and testers, it was essential to maintain a discipline because every action of each of the tester (comprising of both developers + testers) would help in contributing to capture the appropriate results. An idea can boast your products performance.

An enthralling experience at my second job. Great discipline at this place. As a newbie in the team, an eye opener kind of a day it was for me.
Had unearthed a bug (lurking for quite some time there) and there were the stalwarts in the team who had to convey this to the client. Tuesday came and we had a call with the client. The team announced the same.
The client’s questions followed:
Why was it not found earlier? (Heard this one before?)
Who found it?

These two days and the rest of the time that has elapsed since then have helped me learn, this about Software Testing and Myself.

  • Be yourself, be bold. No, you will not be penalized for doing what is expected of a tester. Yes, there could be consequences and I don't know how these consequences are derived.
  • Report every bug. Introduce this bug to your peers.
  • Ask questions (lots of them) and clear the doubts (Yes. Even if you think it is naive or if you are thinking someone else will think it is silly).

I felt a lot shy to clear my doubts while in a lecture/class until my botany teacher once told me this 'You have an unimaginable imagination'. I think he was encouraging me to ask questions. Though there are no answers. Ask.
  • Take the bug in question to a forum to discuss whether the bug is a fake or genuine.
  • Keep your head held high though its a reject.
  • Get busy testing. The end of the world came and left while you were busy unearthing bugs.
  • Encourage the new comer in the team. Do not despise.
  • Keep learning every day.
  • Welcome change.
  • Observe and Learn.
  • Observe and Unlearn.

Attitude:


When you set out to learn:
Carry your books, notes and your attitude with you.
Some soon presume that attitude is bad/negative! Where did this perspective stem from?
I was once told I have an attitude. I think everyone should have one.
How is it without having an attitude? Who am I without an attitude?
I am in the likelihood of knowing what attitude means to me. 
Is there any other definition of attitude? What does attitude mean to you?
  • Help others learn. Experience the joy of reading out to others.
  • Love to share your learning's. I am glad that I do not know the harmful effects of sharing the lessons learnt. By now am sure, there are none.
  • One can be strong in all areas.
  • Express yourself. 

Let the tester in you, sing songs worth a Grammy.
Let the tester in you, perform roles worth an Oscar.
Yet, if you feel caged for reasons specific. Find and meet up with someone like you. Help them and help yourself. Build your community and set yourself free.
  • Break the barriers.  
  • Bring your own ideas to the table. Never mind if its trashed.
  • Note your test ideas. They will be a treasure for you and others in another context. 


Do share your experiences and lessons learnt with others. 

Tip to every tester:
Break it, if it can be. So it can be built better. 

2 comments:

Parimala Hariprasad said...

Hi Jyothi,

Exciting to see you start blogging. Best Wishes!

Regards,
Parimala Hariprasad

Jyothi R said...

Hi Parimala,

Thank you for dropping by. It is exciting to know and be a part of the community of bloggers and fellow testers.

I appreciate your writing and your view on addressing every aspect from the point of view of a hard core tester. I must say the heuristics on web accessibility is neat.
Best Wishes.