Thursday, 5 March 2015

An Approach to Test Reporting

Dear Readers,
Formulated and shared here is a *template which can be used to prepare a Test Report.
*template - modifiable based on the context it is put to use.




A sample Test Report created using the above template is shared below.

My thoughts on this approach to test reporting:
  • It brought clarity to what I performed during the test preparation and test execution phase.
  • Helped me capture the testing activities inclusive of test environment, testing scope and out of scope, test deliverable's, note the risks and mitigation, tools used, systems tested and teams involved.
  • In the context of it's first use, found it to be hassle-free when compared to a standard template introduced earlier to.
  • Values the effort rather than provide a count of the test ideas and the reported bugs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Readers,
With an intent to learn from you all, have prepared this questionnaire. Please do care to answer them.
  • Would this approach to test reporting appeal to you, your client, the business and the involved?
  • Would you use this approach to test reporting to address any (one) of it's consumer/s? 
  • Would you personally, detest or embrace this approach to test reporting?
  • Would you change anything in this template if you learn that this report will be audited?
  • Does adding any missing elements and removing an existing element from this template, help? 
Mention the context when phrasing your answer/s to the above question/s. Do share your thoughts when actually tried and implemented for a domain / system you are working on.

5 comments:

A said...

Hi Jyothi,

I love the way you use mind maps as a tool to explain your thoughts. I have a lot to learn from you. If you don't mind, I'd like to hear more about your approach in constructing this one and how you use it when communicating your reports to stakeholders.

My answers to your questionnaire:

Q: Would this approach to test reporting appeal to you, your client, the business and the involved?

A: I would have to learn more about your approach to be able to answer. I am struggling with reporting at the moment and have a lot to learn here. In a current project, a colourful spreadsheet would always beat a mind map because that's what people were used to see. To me, it looks like you have added good categories. I will try to use your Test Report categories to exercise my mind about what I need to report. Nobody is asking a written report from me right now, other than problem reports, but of course they want to know what works and what don't works. Using this tool could help me educate myself and others about testing and support my stories about how and what I tested and also why.

Q: Would you use this approach to test reporting to address any (one) of it's consumer/s?
A: I am not sure that I understand the question.

Q: Would you personally, detest or embrace this approach to test reporting?
A: I'm not sure that I have fully understood what your approach looks like. I'd love to hear more about how you came up with it and how you use it in practice. It made me think though, and that I'll always embrace.

Q: Would you change anything in this template if you learn that this report will be audited?
A: I would make adjustments so that it fit to the context whether my report would be audited or not (it never happened to me, but it could in the future). If my report would be audited, I'd have to know what I should comply with and make adjustments so that it takes it into account, assuming it is not already in there.

Q: Does adding any missing elements and removing an existing element from this template, help?
A: In Systems under test, I would need to make adjustments so that I cover the specific systems that I work with. I am testing apps most of the times, but imagine you would test something else specific apply your approach on that. Try for example a car, the ocean, a bird or a television or something else that comes to mind.

Annie

Jyothi said...

Hi Annie.

Would you use this approach to test reporting to address any (one) of it's consumer/s?

By this I mean just this - would you think that sharing this information would help the stakeholders in anyway to understand what goes on :
- in testing as a performance and
- a day in the life of a tester.

Would this help us all involved understand the effort, the timelines which is usually less for testing as compared to the development phase and the age old problem of nth minute delivery of code for testing.

Intention being if they got a peek into what we do as part of testing, then it can help us all understand and plan better (than earlier).

Thanks for your answers and questions.

Jyothi

Jyothi said...

Hi Annie.

Would you use this approach to test reporting to address any (one) of it's consumer/s?

By this I mean just this - would you think that sharing this information would help the stakeholders in anyway to understand what goes on :
- in testing as a performance and
- a day in the life of a tester.

Would this help us all involved understand the effort, the timelines which is usually less for testing as compared to the development phase and the age old problem of nth minute delivery of code for testing.

Intention being if they got a peek into what we do as part of testing, then it can help us all understand and plan better (than earlier).

Thanks for your answers and questions.

Jyothi

The EuroSTAR Team said...

Hi Jyothi,

How are you? I came across your blog and I was wondering if you would be interested in guest blogging on TESTHuddle.com?

In case you are unaware, TEST Huddle is a software testing community that was launched by EuroSTAR Conferences back in early 2014 and there has been steady growth of members ever since.

Is this something that might interest you?

I look forward to hearing from you,
Kind regards,
Daragh

Jyothi said...

Hi Daragh,

I am fine, thank you. How are you?
I have heard about TEST Huddle and express my wish to share my thoughts at http://testhuddle.com/

Do share the guidelines.

Thank you,
Jyothi